P1004 - Short Runner Valve Control Performance
P1004 Possible Causes
- Faulty short runner valve assembly
- Short runner valve harness is open or shorted
- Short runner valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
How is the P1004 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1004 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1004 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected?The P1004 code is detected when the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1004 MeaningThe Short Runner Valve (SRV) system is used to improve engine performance. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to calibrated closed range when the circuit is deenergized or to a calibrated open range when the circuit is energized.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1004 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1004 BMW Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor Guide
- P1004 CHRYSLER Short Runner Valve Control Performance
- P1004 DODGE Short Runner Valve Control Performance
- P1004 JEEP Short Runner Valve Control Performance
- P1004 MINI Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor Guide
- P1004 RAM Short Runner Valve Control Performance
- P1004 VOLKSWAGEN Torque Difference Cylinder 1: Limit Value Exceeded