P0505 Possible Causes
- Faulty IACV-AAC valve
- IACV-AAC valve harness is open or shorted
- IACV-AAC valve circuit poor electrical connection
First diagnose P0505 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Cost of diagnosing the P0505 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0505 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0505 code detected?The P0505 code is set when the IACV-AAC valve does not operate properly.
P0505 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine hard to start
- Rough or erratic idle speed
P0505 MeaningThis system automatically controls engine idle speed to a specified level. Idle speed is controlled through fine adjustment of the amount of air which by-passes the throttle valve via Idle Air Control Valve IACV) and Auxiliary Air Control AAC) Valve. The IACV-AAC valve changes the opening of the air by-pass passage to control the amount of auxiliary air. This valve is actuated by a step motor built into the valve, which moves the valve in the axial direction in steps corresponding to the Engine Control Module (ECM) output signals.
One step of IACV-AAC valve movement causes the respective opening of the air by-pass passage. (i.e. when the step advances, the opening is enlarged.) The opening of the valve is varied to allow for optimum control of the engine idling speed. The crankshaft position sensor (POS) detects the actual engine speed and sends a signal to the ECM. The ECM then controls the step position of the IACV-AAC valve so that engine speed coincides with the target value memorized in ECM. The target engine speed is the lowest speed at which the engine can operate steadily. The optimum value stored in the ECM is determined by takig into consideration various engine conditions, such as during warm up, deceleration, and engine load (air conditioner, power steering and cooling fan operation).
P0505 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0505 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P0505 Information for specific makes
- P0505 ACURA Idle Air Control Valve
- P0505 CHRYSLER Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 DODGE Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 FORD Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 HONDA Idle Air Control Valve
- P0505 INFINITI Idle Air Control Valve
- P0505 JEEP Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 KIA Idle Air Control System
- P0505 LEXUS Idle Air Control System
- P0505 LINCOLN Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 MAZDA Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 MERCEDES-BENZ Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 MERCURY Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 NISSAN Idle Air Control Valve
- P0505 SCION Idle Control System Malfunction
- P0505 TOYOTA Idle Air Control System
- P0505 VOLVO Air Assisted Control Valve