U2013 Possible Causes
- Faulty / intermittent ignition switch connections
- J1850 / SCP / CAN Bus wiring intermittently open/shorted to power or ground
- Faulty / intermittent connections at Compass module
- Faulty / intermittent connections at ABS Control Module (ABS)
- Faulty / intermittent connections at the instrument cluster (IPC)
- Faulty / intermittent connections at Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
First diagnose U2013 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
U2013 Tech NotesThis is typically an electrical wiring connection issue at one of the controllers being monitored by the manufacturer.
It can also be caused when:
On certain vehicles, accompanied by misfire codes, the ignition coils fail.
Electrical connections at the Instrument Cluster
Cost of diagnosing the U2013 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the U2013 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the U2013 code detected?When other modules are unable to communicate with the Compass Module on the bus network at any time while the ignition switch is in the “Run” position, code U2013 sets in memory.
U2013 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Amber ABS (Anti-lock Brakes) Light ON
- Wrench Light On
- Compass readings blank
U2013 MeaningThis is a manufacturer specific fault code and can be used for several different faults, depending upon what the manufacturer wants to use it for. Controllers communicate over the Serial Communication Protocol (SCP) bus network, also known as J1850 bus, or Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus. These bus communication systems may or may not be fault tolerant, which means any type of intermittent/loose connection between these controllers could cause communication to stop. When these controllers are unable to communicate with each other at any time while the ignition switch is turned on, code U2013 will set.
U2013 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the U2013 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals