P1253 - VTEC System Malfunction
P1253 Possible Causes
- Engine oil level low
- Low engine oil pressure
- Blocked oil passage
- Faulty VCT oil control valve
How is the P1253 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1253 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1253 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1253 MeaningThe VTEC system, in conjunction with the Engine Control Module (ECM), activates the VTEC solenoid valve to control oil pressure to the VTEC mechanism that is installed in the valve system to switch valve timing between Low and High. If the VTEC solenoid valve has an open or short circuit, a DTC is stored.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1253 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1253 ACURA VTEC System Malfunction
- P1253 AUDI Fuel Consumption Signal Short To Ground
- P1253 FORD Pedal Correlation PDS1 and LPDS Low
- P1253 HONDA VTEC System Malfunction
- P1253 ISUZU VTEC System Malfunction
- P1253 SAAB Throttle Position Motor Fully Open Signal During Cranking
- P1253 VOLKSWAGEN Fuel Consumption Signal Short To Ground