U1900 - CAN Communication Bus Fault
U1900 Possible Causes
- Faulty / intermittent ignition switch connections
- CAN Bus wiring intermittently open/shorted to power or ground
- Faulty / intermittent connection at PCM
- Faulty electrical connections at ABS Control Module
- Faulty electrical connections at the instrument cluster
- Poor connections at the trailer brake controller/trailer connector
How is the U1900 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Someone hooks up a scanner to the OBDII port while the ignition is on or while the engine is idling.
A trailer brake system is installed improperly/incorrectly on a truck with ABS (anti-lock brakes).
What is the cost to diagnose the U1900 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the U1900 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
When is the code detected?When the PCM, Brake Controller and Instrument Cluster are unable to communicate with each other at any time while the ignition switch is turned to the “Run” position, code U1900 sets in memory.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Amber ABS (Anti-lock Brakes) Light ON
- Wrench Light On
U1900 MeaningThe Anti-ock Brakes System (ABS) module, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and the instrument cluster communicate over the Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus. This is a high-speed bus communication system and is not fault tolerant, which means any type of intermittent/loose connection between these 3 controllers will cause communication to stop. When the PCM, ABS module and instrument cluster are unable to communicate with each other at any time while the ignition switch is turned on, code U1900 will set.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the U1900 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- U1900 BUICK Lost Communication With Speech To Text Interface Module
- U1900 CADILLAC Lost Communication With Speech To Text Interface Module
- U1900 CHEVROLET Lost Communication With Speech To Text Interface Module
- U1900 FORD CAN Communication Bus Fault ▶
- U1900 GMC Lost Communication With Speech To Text Interface Module
- U1900 MERCURY CAN Communication Bus Fault