P1780 - Transmission Control Switch Out of Self-Test Range
P1780 Possible Causes
- Transmission Control Switch (TCS) not cycled during the self-test
- Faulty Transmission Control Switch
- Transmission Control Switch harness is open or shorted
- Transmission Control Switch circuit poor electrical connection
How is the P1780 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1780 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1780 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1780 MeaningThe Transmission Control Switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch that is located on the end of the transmission control selector lever. Pushing the TCS will either disengage or engage the overdrive function of the transmission. During Key ON Engine Running (KOER) self-test the TCS must be cycled, the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set anytime Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a TCS out of self-test range.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1780 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1780 BUICK Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 CADILLAC Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 CHEVROLET Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 FORD Transmission Control Switch Circuit is Out of Self-Test Range ▶
- P1780 GMC Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 HYUNDAI Push-Pull Sensor
- P1780 KIA Transmission Control Module Ignition Advance Circuit Malfunction
- P1780 LEXUS Park/Neutral Position Switch Malfunction
- P1780 LINCOLN Transmission Control Switch Circuit is Out of Self-Test Range
- P1780 MAZDA Transmission Control Switch Circuit is Out of Self-Test Range
- P1780 MERCURY Transmission Control Switch Circuit is Out of Self-Test Range
- P1780 PONTIAC Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 SATURN Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit
- P1780 TOYOTA Park/Neutral Position Switch Malfunction ▶