P1494 JEEP - EVAP Leak Detection Pump Pressure Switch Condition
- Faulty Leak Detection Pump (LDP)
- Leak Detection Pump (LDP) harness is open or shorted
- Leak Detection Pump (LDP) poor electrical connection
User Submitted Video
When is the code detected?
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P1494 Jeep Description
The Evaporative emissions system is designed to prevent the escape of fuel vapors from the fuel system. Leaks in the system ca allow vapors to escape into the atmosphere. The leak detection system tests for EVAP system leaks and blockage.
During the self-diagnostics, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) first checks the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) for electrical and mechanical faults. If the first checks pass, the PCM then uses the LDP to seal the vent valve and pump air into the system to pressurize it. If a leak is present, the PCM will continue pumping the LDP to replace the air that leaks out. The PCM determines the size of the leak based on how fast/long it must pump the LDP as it tries to maintain pressure in the system.