P1481 - Cooling Fan Speed Signal Lost
P1481 Possible Causes
- Faulty Fan Clutch Assembly
- Fan Clutch Assembly harness is open or shorted
- Fan Clutch Assembly circuit poor electrical connection
How is the P1481 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1481 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1481 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1481 MeaningThe engine cooling fan is a variable speed fan. The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the fan speed by sending a pulse width modulated signal to the cooling fan speed control module. The cooling fan control module varies the voltage drop across the engine cooling fan motor in relation to the pulse width modulated signal. The cooling fan speed is affected by many different conditions and can be adjusted from 10-90 percent duty cycle. Ninety percent is considered high fan speed. When multiple cooling speed requests are received, the ECM uses the highest cooling fan speed of all the requests. During normal fan ON operation, the control circuit voltage will be low and near battery voltage when the fan is OFF.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1481 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1481 BUICK Cooling Fan Speed Signal Lost
- P1481 CADILLAC Cooling Fan Speed Signal Lost
- P1481 CHEVROLET Cooling Fan Speed Signal Lost
- P1481 CHRYSLER EATX RPM Pulse Performance Condition
- P1481 DODGE EATX RPM Pulse Performance Condition
- P1481 FORD Fan Secondary Low Eith High Fans On
- P1481 GMC Cooling Fan Speed Signal Lost
- P1481 LAND-ROVER Leak Detection Pump Heater Circuit
- P1481 MAZDA Fan Secondary Low Eith High Fans On