P1440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Small Leak
P1440 Possible Causes
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- Incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Leak is in line between intake manifold and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve
- Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister vent control valve
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube) leaks
- EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
- Blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor
- Loose or disconnected rubber tube
- EVAP canister vent control valve and the circuit
- O-ring of EVAP canister vent control valve is missing or damaged
- EVAP canister is saturated with water
- EVAP control system pressure sensor
- Absolute pressure sensor
How is the P1440 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1440 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1440 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1440 MeaningThis diagnosis detects leaks in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) purge line using of vapor pressure in the fuel tank. The EVAP canister vent control valve is closed to shut the EVAP purge line. The vacuum cut valve bypass valve will then be opened to clear the line between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. The EVAP control system pressure sensor can now monitor the pressure inside the fuel tank. If pressure increases, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will check for leaks in the line between the vacuum cut valve and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1440 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1440 AUDI EGR Valve Power Stage Open
- P1440 BMW Purge Control Valve Control Circuit Signal High
- P1440 HONDA Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Output Circuit Malfunction
- P1440 HYUNDAI EVAP System Vent Circuit
- P1440 INFINITI Evaporative Emission Control System Small Leak
- P1440 JAGUAR Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve Open
- P1440 LEXUS Secondary Air Injection Vacuum Switching Valve Circuit Malfunction Bank 1
- P1440 NISSAN Evaporative Emission Control System Small Leak
- P1440 SUBARU Fuel Tank Pressure Control System Low Input
- P1440 TOYOTA Secondary Air Injection Vacuum Switching Valve Circuit Malfunction Bank 1
- P1440 VOLKSWAGEN EGR Valve Power Stage Open