P1388 - Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
P1388 Possible Causes
- Cam timing improperly set
- Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
- VCT solenoid valve stuck open
- Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit).
How is the P1388 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1388 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1388 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1388 MeaningThe variable camshaft timing solenoid effects the inlet camshaft timing only. The actuator is a helical spline type, which is engine oil driven. It provides 50 degrees of rotation for camshaft adjustment under different types of engine torque and load conditions.
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1388 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1388 AUDI Internal Control Module Drive By Wire Error
- P1388 CHRYSLER ASD Relay Control Circuit Conditions
- P1388 DODGE ASD Relay Control Circuit Conditions
- P1388 FORD Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
- P1388 JAGUAR Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
- P1388 JEEP ASD or CNG Relay Control Circuit
- P1388 LINCOLN Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
- P1388 MAZDA Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
- P1388 MERCURY Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 2
- P1388 VOLKSWAGEN Internal Control Module Drive By Wire Error