P1296 - Engine Cooling System Malfunction
P1296 Possible Causes
- Low engine coolant level
- Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty engine coolant thermostat
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical circuit poor connection
How is the P1296 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1296 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1296 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1296 MeaningThe Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is used to detect the engine coolant temperature. The sensor modifies a voltage signal from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The modified signal returns to the ECM as the engine coolant temperature input. The sensor uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. The electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases as temperature increases.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1296 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1296 AUDI Engine Cooling System Malfunction
- P1296 CHRYSLER 5 Volt Reference Voltage Missing At Throttle Position Sensor
- P1296 DODGE 5 Volt Reference Voltage Missing At Throttle Position Sensor
- P1296 FORD Multi-Faults Bank 2 With Low Side Shorts
- P1296 MITSUBISHI No 5 Volts to MAP Sensor
- P1296 VOLKSWAGEN Engine Cooling System Malfunction