P1284 Possible Causes
- Faulty Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 Bank 1
- Faulty Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 heater Bank 1
- Fuel pressure
- Faulty Fuel injector
- Faulty Air Flow Meter
How do I fix code P1284
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P1284 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1284 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
P1284 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1284 MeaningThe A/F sensor is a planar dual-cell limit current sensor. The sensor element of the A/F sensor is the combination of a Nernst concentration cell (sensor cell) with an oxygen-pump cell, which transports ions. It has a heater in the element.
The sensor is capable of precise measurement λ= 1, but also in the lean and rich range. Together with its control electronics, the sensor outputs a clear, continuous signal throughout a wide λ range (0.7 < λ < air).
The exhaust gas components diffuse through the diffusion gap at the electrode of the oxygen pump and Nernst concentration cell, where they are brought to thermodynamic balance.
An electronic circuit controls the pump current through the oxygen-pump cell so that the composition of the exhaust gas in the diffusion gap remains constant at λ = 1. Therefore, the A/F sensor is able to indicate air/fuel ratio by this pumping of current. In addition, a heater is integrated in the sensor to ensure the required operating temperature of 700 - 800 C (1,292 - 1,472 F).
P1284 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1284 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P1284 Information for specific makes
- P1284 BMW Switching Solenoid for Air Assisted Injection Valves Bank 1 Control Circuit Signal Low
- P1284 CHRYSLER Fuel Injection Pump Battery Voltage Out Of Range Condition
- P1284 DODGE Fuel Injection Pump Battery Voltage Out Of Range Condition
- P1284 FORD Aborted KOER - ICP Failure
- P1284 INFINITI Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Rich Shift Monitoring Bank 2
- P1284 MINI Switching Solenoid for Air Assisted Injection Valves Bank 1 Control Circuit Signal Low
- P1284 NISSAN Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Rich Shift Monitoring Bank 2
- P1284 VOLKSWAGEN Fuel Injection Air Control Valve Circuit Open