P1217 - Engine Over Temperature
P1217 Possible Causes
- Faulty Thermostat
- Faulty cooling fan motor
- Cooling fan harness is open or shorted
- Cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection
- Engine Control Module (ECM) Program
- Leaking radiator hose
- Leaking or clogged radiator
- Radiator cap
- Leaking or damage Water pump
How is the P1217 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P1217 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P1217 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine overheating
P1217 MeaningThe Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the cooling fan corresponding to the vehicle speed, engine coolant temperature, refrigerant pressure, and air conditioner ON signal. The control system has 3-step control [HIGH/LOW/OFF].
If the cooling fan or another component in the cooling system malfunctions, engine coolant temperature will rise. When the engine coolant temperature reaches an abnormally high temperature condition, a malfunction is indicated.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1217 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1217 AUDI Injector Circuit Cylinder 5 Short To Positive
- P1217 BMW Fuel Pump
- P1217 BUICK Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Long
- P1217 CADILLAC Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Long
- P1217 CHEVROLET Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Long
- P1217 DODGE 1/2 02 Sensor Slow During Catalyst Monitor
- P1217 FORD Pedal Position Sensor 'C' Circuit Intermittent
- P1217 GMC Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Long
- P1217 INFINITI Engine Over Temperature
- P1217 MINI Fuel Pump
- P1217 NISSAN Engine Over Temperature
- P1217 VOLKSWAGEN Injector Circuit Cylinder 5 Short To Positive