P1198 - O2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 Electrical Malfunction
P1198 Possible Causes
- Faulty O2 Sensor
- O2 Sensor harness is open or shorted
- O2 Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P1198
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P1198 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1198 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
P1198 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1198 MeaningOxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
In order to achieve the require temperature, a heater element is included inside the heated oxygen sensor. The ECM controls the heated oxygen sensor heater element based on signals from the engine coolant temperature and engine load. The ECM controls the heater element circuit by allowing current flow to ground.
The ECM monitors the voltage signal received through the heater element circuit and determines the state of the circuit by comparing the voltage detected with the factory specifications.
P1198 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1198 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P1198 Information for specific makes
- P1198 AUDI O2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 Electrical Malfunction
- P1198 BMW Differential Pressure Sensor Intake Manifold Signal
- P1198 CHRYSLER Radiator Temp Sensor Input Too High
- P1198 DODGE Radiator Temp Sensor Input Too High
- P1198 FORD Pump Rotor Control Underfueling
- P1198 MINI Differential Pressure Sensor Intake Manifold Signal
- P1198 VOLKSWAGEN O2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 Electrical Malfunction