P1184 FORD Possible Causes
- Engine not at operating temperature
- Cooling system problem of stuck thermostat
- Faulty Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor
- Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
First diagnose P1184 FORD code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Cost of diagnosing the P1184 FORD code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1184 FORD code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P1184 FORD code detected?Indicates Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) signal was out of Self-Test range.
P1184 FORD Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1184 FORD MeaningThe Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) corresponding to temperature.
Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensor. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow.
Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in a series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the ECM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.
The EOT sensor measures the temperature of the engine oil. The sensor is typically threaded into the engine oil lubrication system. The ECM can use the EOT sensor input to determine the following:
- On variable cam timing (VCT) applications the EOT input is used to adjust the VCT control gains and logic for camshaft timing.
- The ECM can use the EOT sensor input in conjunction with other ECM inputs to determine oil degradation
- The ECM can use EOT sensor input to initiate a soft engine shutdown. To prevent engine damage from occurring as a result of high oil temperature, the ECM has the ability to initiate a soft engine shutdown. Whenever engine RPM exceeds a calibrated level for a certain period of time, the ECM will begin reducing power by disabling engine cylinders.
P1184 FORD More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1184 FORD code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P1184 FORD Information for specific Ford models
- P1184 1997 FORD F150
- P1184 1998 FORD F150
- P1184 1999 FORD F150
- P1184 2000 FORD F150
- P1184 2001 FORD F150
- P1184 2002 FORD F150
- P1184 2003 FORD F150
- P1184 2006 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2007 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2008 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2009 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2010 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2011 FORD FUSION
- P1184 2012 FORD FUSION