P1159 Possible Causes
- Faulty Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1
- Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P1159
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P1159 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1159 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
P1159 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1159 MeaningThe Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) sensor 1 is installed in the exhaust system and detects oxygen content in the exhaust gas. The A/F sensor transmits output voltage to the Engine Control Module (ECM). A heater for the sensor element is embedded in the A/F sensor (sensor 1). It is activated and heats the sensor to stabilize and speed the detection of oxygen content by controlling current flowing through the heater. An increase in the current levels off as the applied voltage to the element electrode reaches a certain range because the amount of oxygen which is led through the diffusion layer is limited. The current amperage is proportional to oxygen content in the exhaust gas, so the air/fuel ratio is detected by the measurement of the current amperage. The ECM compares a set target air/fuel ratio with the detected air/fuel ratio and controls the fuel injection timing.
If the A/F sensor (sensor 1) voltage is low, the air/fuel ratio is lean, and the ECM uses A/F feedback control to issue a Rich command. If the A/F sensor (sensor 1) voltage is high, the air/fuel ratio is rich, and the ECM uses A/F feedback control to issue a Lean command.
P1159 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1159 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P1159 Information for specific makes
- P1159 ACURA Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 AFS+ Terminal Low Voltage
- P1159 BMW Fuel Trim Additve Bank 1 High
- P1159 BUICK HO2S Cross Counts Bank 2 Sensor 2
- P1159 CADILLAC HO2S Cross Counts Bank 2 Sensor 2
- P1159 CHEVROLET HO2S Cross Counts Bank 2 Sensor 2
- P1159 CHRYSLER Improper Start Attempt
- P1159 DODGE Improper Start Attempt
- P1159 GMC HO2S Cross Counts Bank 2 Sensor 2
- P1159 HONDA Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 AFS+ Terminal Low Voltage
- P1159 HYUNDAI Variable Intake Motor Malfunction
- P1159 JEEP Improper Start Attempt
- P1159 KIA Variable Intake Motor Malfunction
- P1159 MINI Fuel Trim Additve Bank 1 High