P1009 - Variable Valve Timing Control Advance Malfunction
P1009 Possible Causes
- Engine oil level
- Dirty engine oil
- Check VTC Strainer for blockage
- Faulty VTC Oil Control Solenoid or circuit
- Faulty VTC Actuator
- Engine mechanical problems
How do I fix code P1009?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P1009 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1009 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1009 MeaningThe variable valve timing control (VTC) system controls the phase of the intake camshaft. It uses oil pressure to operate the VTC actuator so the valve timing is optimized depending on driving conditions. The engine control module (ECM)/Powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the phase control command and the actual timing of the camshaft by using camshaft position
(CMP) sensor A. If an over-advanced camshaft phase (compared to the directed value) continues or when the camshaft phase is otherwise abnormal, a malfunction is detected and a DTC is stored.
P1009 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1009 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1009 ACURA Variable Valve Timing Control Advance Malfunction
- P1009 AUDI Air Mass Meter 1/2 Implausible Signal From Load Detection
- P1009 DODGE ECU Battery Feed & Power Grounds
- P1009 HONDA Variable Valve Timing Control Advance Malfunction
- P1009 VOLKSWAGEN Air Mass Meter 1/2 Implausible Signal From Load Detection