P0989 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'E' Circuit Low
P0989 Possible Causes
- Faulty Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'E'
- Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'E' harness is open or shorted
- Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'E' circuit poor electrical connection
How is the P0989 code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P0989 code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P0989 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0989 MeaningThe Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 5 is part of the control solenoid (w/body and Transmission Control Module (TCM)) valve assembly and is not serviced separately. The TCM supplies 12 volts to the TFP switch 5 on the TFP switch 5 signal circuit; the TFP switch 5 has an internal case ground. TFP switch 5 is normally closed, Low. When oil pressure is present at the TFP switch 5, the switch is open, high. The normally low clutch pressure control (PC) solenoid 4 controls the transmission fluid to the 1-2-3-4 clutch. The TCM monitors the normally closed TFP switch 5 signal circuit to determine the 1-2-3-4 clutch status. The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set TCM detects that the TFP Switch 5 signal voltage remains low, 0 volts when the low and reverse clutch or the 4-5-6 clutch is commanded ON for 5.5 seconds or greater.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0989 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0989 BUICK Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 5 Circuit Low
- P0989 CADILLAC Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 5 Circuit Low
- P0989 CHEVROLET Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 5 Circuit Low
- P0989 DODGE Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'E' Circuit Low
- P0989 GMC Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch 5 Circuit Low