P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER - Idle Air Control System
P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Possible Causes
- Dirty Throttle Body
- Faulty Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) (Throttle body)
- Electronic Throttle Control System harness is open or shorted
- Electronic Throttle Control System circuit poor electrical connection
- Air Induction System (Intake leak)
- PCV hose connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
How is the P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine hard to start
- Rough or erratic idle speed
P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER MeaningThe idle speed is controlled by the Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS). The ETCS is composed of the throttle motor, which operates the throttle valve, and the throttle position sensor, which detects the opening angle of the throttle valve. The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the throttle motor to provide the proper throttle valve opening angle to obtain the target idle speed.
The ECM regulates the idle speed by opening and closing the throttle valve using the ETCS. The ECM concludes that the idle speed control ECM function is malfunctioning and set the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) if:
1. The actual idle RPM varies more than the specified amount five times or more during a drive cycle
2. The learning value of the idle speed control remains at the maximum or minimum five times or more during a drive cycle.
Example: If the actual idle RPM varies from the target idle RPM by more than 200* rpm five times during a drive cycle, the ECM will turn on the MIL and will set a DTC.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0505 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals