P0442 2008 FORD FUSION - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected Small Leak
- Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
The P0442 code means that the control module has detected a small leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0442 code.
When is the code detected?
Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a leak, EVAP control system does not operate properly.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0442 2008 Ford Fusion Description
The powertrain control module (PCM
) monitors the complete evaporative emission (EVAP
) control system for the presence of a small fuel vapor leak. System failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.040 in) is detected by the EVAP
running loss monitor test.