P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected Small Leak
P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 Possible Causes
- Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 Tech NotesThe fuel tank filler cap and the Purge Volume Control Valve are the more common problems that will trigger the P0442 code on Infiniti vehicles.
There is an Infiniti Service Bulletin to help diagnose the P0442 code:
Infiniti OBDII Code P0442
Cost of diagnosing the P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 code detected?Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a leak, EVAP control system does not operate properly.
P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0442 2003 INFINITI G35 MeaningThe Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.