P0234 Possible Causes
- Boost pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
- Boost pressure sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty boost pressure sensor
- Faulty Turbo/Super Charger
- Engine over temperature
- Ignition misfire exceeds the calibrated threshold
- Faulty Knock sensor (KS)
How do I fix code P0234
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0234 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0234 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0234 code detected?This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0234 will set if the boost pressure sensor signal is above the predicted range.
P0234 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0234 MeaningThe boost pressure sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. This pressure is created by the turbocharger and changes with accelerator pedal position (APP) and engine speed. The engine control module (ECM) uses this information to assist in diagnosis of the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor and to provide engine overboost protection. The boost pressure sensor has a 5-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the boost pressure sensor on the 5-volt reference 2 circuit, and provides a ground on a low reference circuit. The boost pressure sensor provides a signal to the ECM on a signal circuit relative to the pressure changes. The ECM monitors the boost pressure sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range. The ECM calculates a predicted value for the boost pressure sensor. The ECM then compares the predicted value to the actual signal.
P0234 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0234 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P0234 Information for specific makes
- P0234 BUICK Engine Overboost
- P0234 CADILLAC Engine Overboost
- P0234 CHEVROLET Engine Overboost
- P0234 FORD Turbocharger/Supercharger 'A' Overboost Condition
- P0234 GMC Engine Overboost
- P0234 ISUZU Turbocharger Engine Overboost
- P0234 MAZDA Turbo/Supercharger Overboost Condition
- P0234 MERCEDES-BENZ Turbocharger Overboost Condition
- P0234 MITSUBISHI Turbocharger Wastegate System Malfunction
- P0234 VOLKSWAGEN Turbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition