P0220 - Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch 'B' Circuit Malfunction
P0220 Possible Causes
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) harness is open or shorted
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- Fault Electric Throttle Control Actuator (or Throttle Body Motor)
- Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APP)
First diagnose P0220 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Cost of diagnosing the P0220 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0220 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0220 code detected?An unexpected voltage from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).
P0220 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- No throttle response
P0220 MeaningElectric Throttle Control Actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor (TPS), etc. The throttle position sensor responds to the throttle valve movement.
The throttle position sensor has the two sensors. These sensors are a kind of potentiometers which transform the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emit the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) In addition, these sensors detect the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feed the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition.
P0220 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0220 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P0220 Information for specific makes
- P0220 ISUZU Throttle Position Sensor 2 Circuit
- P0220 KIA Throttle Position Sensor / Pedal Position Sensor/Switch
- P0220 LEXUS Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Wwitch 'B' Circuit
- P0220 MERCEDES-BENZ Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch 'B' Circuit Malfunction
- P0220 TOYOTA Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'B' Circuit