P0023 - Intake Camshaft Position 'B' Actuator Circuit Open Bank 2
P0023 Possible Causes
- Dirty Oil
- Faulty variable valve timing (VVT)
- Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
- Variable Valve Timing (VVT) harness is open or shorted
- Oil Control Valve (OCV) circuit is open or shorted
- Damaged Engine Control Module (ECM)
First diagnose P0023 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Cost of diagnosing the P0023 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0023 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
P0023 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Lack/Loss of power
- Engine rough idle
P0023 MeaningThe Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the Oil Control Valve (OCV) to regulate the intake camshaft angle. As a result of the angle change, the engine timing is advance or retard. Optimizing engine timing will help the engine improve torque and fuel economy, and the exhaust emissions decrease under overall driving conditions. The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system includes the Oil Control Valve (OCV) and VVT controller. The ECM detects the actual intake valve timing using signals from the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, and performs feedback control.
P0023 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0023 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P0023 Information for specific makes
- P0023 AUDI 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Bank 2
- P0023 BMW Variable Camshaft Timing 'B' Circuit Continuity Bank 2
- P0023 LEXUS Camshaft Position 'B' Actuator Circuit Bank 2
- P0023 MINI Variable Camshaft Timing 'B' Circuit Continuity Bank 2
- P0023 SCION Camshaft Position 'B' Actuator Circuit Bank 2
- P0023 TOYOTA Camshaft Position 'B' Actuator Circuit Bank 2
- P0023 VOLKSWAGEN 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Bank 2