B121A - Keypad Illumination Output Circuit Short to Ground
B121A Possible Causes
- Faulty Keyless Entry Keypad
- Keyless Entry Keypad harness is open or shorted
- Keyless Entry Keypad circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Body Control Module (BCM)
How is the B121A code repair?Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
What is the cost to diagnose the B121A code
Labor: 1.0The cost to diagnose the B121A code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
B121A MeaningThe keypad feature operates independently of key position status, vehicle speed, or transmission position. When a keypad button is touched, the keypad buttons illuminate to provide better visibility. The keypad is also illuminated any time that the courtesy lighting is on. If the lock all doors command is entered or 5 seconds have elapsed since the last button press, the illumination is turned off.
Each vehicle equipped with a keypad is programmed with a 5-digit entry code. This code is provided to the customer through a wallet card in the Owner's Literature. In addition, this code is available through a scan tool and is also printed on the BCM label. When entering codes each digit must be entered within 5 seconds of the previous button press.
When any keypad button is pressed the Body Control Module (BCM) sends voltage to the keyless entry keypad LEDs on the illumination circuit to assist the driver in entering an access code at night. The keyless entry keypad has a separate ground circuit for the LEDs. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) that sets when the BCM detects a short to ground on the keyless entry keypad illumination circuit.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the B121A code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- B121A CHRYSLER Right Heated Seat HI Indicator Control Circuit High
- B121A DODGE Right Heated Seat HI Indicator Control Circuit High
- B121A FORD Keypad Illumination Output Circuit Short to Ground
- B121A JEEP Right Heated Seat HI Indicator Control Circuit High
- B121A LINCOLN Keypad Illumination Output Circuit Short to Ground
- B121A MERCURY Keypad Illumination Output Circuit Short to Ground
- B121A RAM Right Heated Seat HI Indicator Control Circuit High