B1196 MAZDA Possible Causes
- Faulty Driver Side Side Air Bag Sensor
- Driver Side Side Air Bag Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Driver Side Side Air Bag Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty SAS Control Module
First diagnose B1196 MAZDA code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
B1196 MAZDA Tech NotesB1196:11: Driver-side side air bag sensor No.2 circuit short to body ground
B1196:13: Driver-side side air bag sensor No.2 circuit open circuit or short to power supply
B1196:87: Signal reception error from driver-side side air bag sensor No.2
B1196:96: Driver-side side air bag sensor No.2 internal malfunction
Cost of diagnosing the B1196 MAZDA code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the B1196 MAZDA code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
B1196 MAZDA Possible Symptoms
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B1196 MAZDA MeaningThe SAS Control Module monitors the Driver Side Side Air Bag Sensor. The SAS Control Module sets the OBDII code when the Driver Side Side Air Bag Sensor is not to factory specifications.
B1196 MAZDA More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the B1196 MAZDA code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.