B0017 GMC Possible Causes
- Faulty Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel
- Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel harness is open or shorted
- Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
How do I fix code B0017 GMC
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the B0017 GMC code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the B0017 GMC code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
B0017 GMC Possible Symptoms
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B0017 GMC MeaningThe Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel (I/P) module deployment loop consists of a dual stage I/P module, I/P module high control, and I/P module low control circuits for both stages 1 and 2. There are 2 shorting bars used within the I/P module connector which will short together the I/P module high and I/P module low control circuits for both stages 1 and 2 when the connector is disconnected. This will help to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored in memory.
B0017 GMC More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the B0017 GMC code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.