P0502 Possible Causes
- Faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor
- Vehicle speed sensor harness or connectors is open or shorted
- Vehicle speed sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
How do I fix code P0502
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0502 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0502 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0502 code detected?The signal sent by the vehicle speed sensor to ECM is too low.
P0502 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Speedometer may not work properly
- Transmission shifting problem
P0502 MeaningThe vehicle speed sensor outputs a 4 pulse signal for every revolution of the rotor shaft, which is rotated by the transmission output shaft via the driven gear. After this signal is converted into a more precise rectangular waveform by the waveform shaping circuit inside the combination meter, it is then transmitted to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals.
P0502 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0502 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
P0502 Information for specific makes
- P0502 BUICK Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input
- P0502 CADILLAC Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input
- P0502 CHEVROLET Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input
- P0502 FORD Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A' Low Input
- P0502 GMC Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input
- P0502 MERCEDES-BENZ Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A' Low Input
- P0502 PONTIAC Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input
- P0502 SATURN Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input