P0485 Possible Causes
- Faulty fan control relay
- Faulty cooling fan
- Fan control relay harness is open or shorted
- Fan control relay circuit poor electrical connection
- Fan cooling fan harness is open or shorted
- Fan cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection
First diagnose P0485 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
Cost of diagnosing the P0485 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0485 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the P0485 code detected?The P0485 code is detected when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.
P0485 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine overheating
P0485 MeaningThe electric cooling fan is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components:
- The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
- The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
- The A/C selector switch
- The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor
- The vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
The ECM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:
- The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
- The A/C clutch requested.
- The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH.
The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met:
- The engine coolant temperature is 151°C (304°F) or more.
- The A/C refrigerant pressure is high.
The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan run-on conditions described in the electric cooling fan general description portion of the service manual.
P0485 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0485 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals