P0126 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Operation
- Low engine coolant level
- Leaking or stuck open thermostat
- Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical circuit poor connection
When is the code detected?
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is used to detect the engine coolant temperature. The sensor modifies a voltage signal from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The modified signal returns to the ECM as the engine coolant temperature input. The sensor uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. The electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases as temperature increases.