P1383 - Variable Cam Timing Overretarded Bank 1
- Cam timing improperly set
- Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
- VCT solenoid valve stuck open
- Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit).
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
The variable camshaft timing solenoid effects the inlet camshaft timing only. The actuator is a helical spline type, which is engine oil driven. It provides 50 degrees of rotation for camshaft adjustment under different types of engine torque and load conditions.
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.
P1383 Information for specific makes
P1383 FORD Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 1
P1383 JAGUAR Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 1
P1383 MAZDA Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 1
P1383 MERCURY Variable Cam Timing Over Retarded Bank 1
P1383 MINI Ignition Circuit Malfunction