P0016 DODGE - Crankshaft-Camshaft Timing Misalignment Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Timing gear misaligned
- Faulty crankshaft position sensor
- Faulty camshaft position sensor
- Engine oil dirty
- Incorrect engine viscosity
- Crankshaft position sensor circuit is open or shorted
- Camshaft position sensor circuit is open or shorted
User Submitted Video
When is the code detected?
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0016 Dodge Description
The crankshaft sensor is part of the primary ignition system and functions as the trigger. It detects the position of the crankshaft relays that information on to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or the ignition module (depending on the vehicle) to control spark timing. The Camshaft position sensor detects the position of the camshafts and relays the information to the PCM. The PCM uses the CMP signal to identify the beginning of the injector sequence. What ties these two shafts and their sensors together is the timing belt or chain. The cam and crank should be precisely timed together.