P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit 'A' Malfunction
- Faulty Glow Plug
- Glow Plug harness is open or shorted
- Glow Plug circuit poor electrical connection
When is the code detected?
- The glow plugs are commanded on and the glow plug feedback is not between 5 volts and 6.2 volts.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- The engine may be harder to start
The glow plug system is used to assist in providing the heat required to begin combustion during cold engine temperatures. The glow plugs are heated before and during cranking, as well as initial engine operation. The engine control module (ECM) controls the glow plug ON times by monitoring coolant temperature and glow plug voltage. The California Glow Plug system has eight individual glow plug supply circuits between the controller and the glow plugs. If the feedback voltage from the controller to the ECM is not within range, DTC P0380 will set.
P0380 Information for specific makes
P0380 MERCEDES-BENZ Glow Plug/Heater Circuit 'A' Malfunction
P0380 VOLKSWAGEN Glow Plug/Heater Circuit 'A' Malfunction